I promise to move out of the kitchen soon. We have been setting up other parts of the house but they aren't ready for their close up yet. I just wanted to quickly share my shade fiasco.
So a week ago I asked about washing fabric roller shades. I took the shades down and unrolled them and could see they were just attached to the roller mechanism by masking tape. It also had the manufacturer stamped on the roller. I looked online to see if I could find the exact shades (and the fabric content of the shades). I didn't find them but most of their fabric shades were a cotton/poly blend so I figured it was pretty safe to wash them.
Turns out not so much. They shrunk in width about three or four inches. There was no stretching them back to shape. So I hopped in my car and hit up the local fabric store and found regular old shade material on deep discount. I also found some beaded trim that I threw in my basket.
It couldn't have been easier to put them together. I just cut the material to size and then sewed a pocket for the hem bar and glued on the beaded trim. I finished it off with a bit of grosgrain ribbon on top of the beaded trim for a neater look. The trickiest part was getting them taped back on the roller mechanism straight. The teeniest bit crooked and the shade doesn't roll up properly.
I spent about $20 and a hour of my time to put them together.
Next time I promise to show you another room in the house. I was thinking of a big, long, boring post with all the before pictures so you can see what the entire house looks like and get a sense of the layout.
I also need to show you the garden. The previous owners loved their garden and roses in particular. We have 60 rose bushes, last count, and they are all in riotous bloom right now.