Just a quick post on a quick project. I have had this hose-bib hose hanger** for years. Not sure where or when I got it but I've had it for about 10 years. It started out white but years of sprinklers and inclement weather have taken their toll.
It didn't matter that it was slowly rusting because it was hidden behind a rose bush.
When we did the landscaping work last Summer we removed all the plants along the front of the house (where the hose hanger lived). They have since been replaced with lower growing plants and the rusty old hose hanger stood out (and not in a good way).
We also did some work at the back of the house - replacing the decrepit walkway behind the garage.
I decided the hose hanger could live back there but would need a face lift since it would be very noticeable (no hiding behind a rosebush).
This was an easy fix. I just took a wire brush to it and scrubbed away at any loose paint and dirt. Then I painted it with a rust inhibiting spray paint in a dark grey/brown color.
I ended up putting three coats on the front and two on the back. My painting skills are really deficient but I am getting a little better with spray paint. The trick is multiple light coats. No rushing (as I am wont to do).
This isn't a very glamorous after shot, it is the backside of the garage after all, but I like how tidy it looks. The hose was just in a heap on the walkway prior to hanging it. We will fill the area with some stones to keep the dirt from splashing up on wall. We just planted some hydrangeas and rhododendrons in the planting bed. They are joining the azaleas that we transplanted from the front of the house last Summer. Hopefully they will fill in quickly and provide some color and interest along the backside of the garage.
**I've been calling it the wrong thing for years! It's not a hose-bib (which is the faucet) it is a hose hanger. Sheesh. Slinking off now....